With the 101 MW Mirzapur located project coming online, Engie’s installed PV capacity in India is now 810 MW (Photo Credit: Engie)
- French utility Engie has commissioned a 101 MW solar PV project in Uttar Pradesh’s Mirzapur region
- The project was inaugurated in the presence of French President Emmanuel Macron and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Engie won the project in May 2016 for 4.43 INR ($0.068) per kWh
- It also announced that its 190 MW Bhadla project in Rajasthan has commenced commercial operations
- Engie has also signed 25-year PPA with the NTPC for 338 MW PV capacity in Andhra Pradesh
French energy player Engie has commissioned a 101 MW solar power project in India. The facility is the largest solar power project in the state of Uttar Pradesh, as per Engie. It was inaugurated by French President Emmanuel Macron and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the former’s state visit to India.
Macron and Modi, along with several other heads of states, launched the founding conference of the International Solar Alliance (see Big Announcements At ISA Conference).
Engie won this Mirzapur located project in May 2016 for a tariff of 4.43 INR ($0.068) per kWh. It entered into a power purchase agreement (PPA) for a period of 25 years with the Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI).
On the occasion, Engie also announced signing of a PPA with the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) for 338 MW capacity it will develop for the Kadapa Solar Park in Andhra Pradesh. It won this project for its winning bid of 3.15 INR ($0.048) per kWh.
The French company also shared that its 190 MW PV project in the Bhadla Solar Park in Rajasthan has begun commercial operation. It was commissioned back in June 2017. It bagged the project during a competitive auction for a tariff of 4.35 INR ($0.067) per kWh.
Engie has an installed PV capacity of 810 MW in India and 80 MW of wind, employing around 1,000 people. The French company plans to invest at least $1 billion in the Indian solar space by 2022 (see Engie’s $1 Billion Plan For Indian Solar Sector).