Scatec’s Third PV Plant In Jordan Operational

Norwegian Developer Scatec Solar Brings Online 22 MW Solar System Taking Its Total In Jordan To 43 MW
06:59 PM (Beijing Time) - 05. September 2016
n_bus_Scatec Solar_Third PV Plant in Jordan Operational_ab 2016-09-05

Norway based solar power plant developer Scatec Solar has commissioned its third PV plant in Jordan. With a capacity of 22 MW, this plant has taken the company’s total production capacity in Jordan to 43 MW.

Key Takeaways

  • Scatec Solar from Norway has commissioned its third power plant in Jordan with a capacity of 22 MW
  • The plant will produce 52,000 MW of clean energy annually for which it has signed PPA with state utility NEPCO
  • It has worked on the project with its local partner European Jordanian Renewable Energy

Norway based solar power plant developer Scatec Solar has commissioned its third PV plant in Jordan. With a capacity of 22 MW, this plant has taken the company’s total production capacity in Jordan to 43 MW.

Located 225 kms from the capital city of Amman, the plant is estimated to produce 52,000 MWh on an annual basis, which will be supplied to state run utility NEPCO. The solar power will be enough to supply 10,000 homes annually. Scatec has signed a 20-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with NEPCO.

The 22 MW plant has been developed by Scatec Solar along with its local partner European Jordanian Renewable Energy (EJRE). The project company is owned by both firms – with Scatec owning 50.1% and the remaining 49.9% owned by EJRE.

The first plant in this series was commissioned in June 2016 with a capacity of 10 MW (see Scatec Solar First Jordan PV Plant Operational). Another 11 MW was commissioned in July 2016. With its power plants in Jordan and South Africa producing more electricity, the company expects its power production to to grow to 205 MW in Q3/2016 (see Scatec Solar Q2/2016).

Scatec has installed close to 600 MW capacity worldwide, and currently produces power from 426 MW of solar power plants in Czech Republic, South Africa, Rwanda, Honduras, Jordan and the US. It now has a pipeline of around 1.5 GW under development in the Americas, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.

Recently, Scatec made news when it secured a 100 MW deal for the Nova Scotia Power plant in Nigeria. The plant is expected to reach financial close in 2017 and commercial operations 12 months thereafter.

Anu Bhambhani

Anu Bhambhani is the News Editor of TaiyangNews

Write, follow the author.
Email

Anu Bhambhani