• FEWA in the UAE has issued an EOI seeking interested developers for 500 MW solar power capacity to be set up in Umm Al Quwain, reported Zawya
  • It needs to be developed on DBOF model under IPP framework as per the EOI issued
  • The SPV to build the project will be owned by FEWA & Umm Al Quwain government, and the winning developer in 60:40 ratio
  • FEWA will sign a long-term PPA for the project with the winner; last date to submit EOI is January 23, 2020

Umm Al Quwain (UAQ), one of the seven emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates (UAE), is seeking developers who would be interested in setting up a 500 MW solar PV plant, reported Thomson Reuters’ Middle East news platform Zawya.

It refers to an expression of interest (EOI) issued by the Federal Electricity and Water Authority (FEWA) of the UAE to build the project under an independent power producer (IPP) framework. It requires a special purpose vehicle (SPV) to be formed which will be owned by FEWA and the UAQ government with 60% shareholding while the remaining 40% will be held by the winning developer. FEWA will be the offtaker for the generated power and will sign a long-term power purchase agreement (PPA).

The 500 MW capacity will be developed on design, build, finance and operate (DBFO) basis.

Last date of EOI submission to FEWA is January 23, 2020.

In December 2018, the UAQ administration was reported to have signed an agreement with FEWA to develop a 200 MW solar PV project in Falaj Al Mu’alla (see 200 MW Solar Project In Umm Al Quwain).