In achieving a 24.06% conversion efficiency for its bifacial mono PERC solar cell, LONGi Solar took over the helm from JinkoSolar, which had announced a 23.95% advanced PERC cell in May 2018. (Source: LONGi Solar)
- LONGi Solar has reported achieving 24.06% conversion efficiency for its bifacial monocrystalline PERC solar cell
- China’s National Center of Supervision and Inspection on Solar Photovoltaic Product Quality (CPVT) confirmed the result, checking the cell that was made using LONGi’s M2 wafer with a dimension of 156.75 x 156.75 mm2
- Sample cells were measured under standard test conditions for current-voltage characteristics as a function of load
LONGi Solar has achieved 24.06% conversion efficiency for its bifacial monocrystalline silicon Passivated Emitter Rear Cell (PERC) using commercial wafer (M2) dimensions. It previously reported PERC cell conversion efficiency record of 23.6% in February 2018 (see 23.6% Mono Cell World Record From LONGi); this was a little later overtaken by JinkoSolar, which used selective emitters and new passivation to create a 23.95% efficiency PERC cell (see JinkoSolar: 23.95% Cell Efficiency Record). Now LONGi is back at the top (see graph).
LONGi’s cell efficiency record was measured and confirmed by the National Center of Supervision and Inspection on Solar Photovoltaic Product Quality (CPVT) in China, using LONGi’s M2 wafer with a dimension of 156.75 x 156.75 mm2. The sample cells were measured under standard test conditions for current-voltage characteristics as a function of load, said LONGi.
“This is the first time that the efficiency of monocrystalline PERC solar cells in commercial dimensions have exceeded 24%,” emphasized Dr. Li Hua, LONGi Solar, Vice President of Cell R&D. “In the last three consecutive years LONGi Solar has developed three generations of ‘Hi-MO’ products based on PERC technology, which are setting the efficiency and reliability benchmark of high-efficiency PERC technology within the industry.”
An in-depth overview on PERC technology can be found in our TaiyangNews PERC Solar Cell Technology Report 2018.
LONGi had been on the forefront of PERC technology for years:
- In April 2017, LONGi Solar reported a monocrystalline silicon PERC cell conversion efficiency of 22.17%. This cell was based on selective emitter technology, which LONGi says, ‘has been widely used in practical mass production which effectively supported the supply requirements of the Phase 3 requirements of China’s ‘Top Runner’ solar installation program.’
- In October 2017, LONGi Solar broke the world-record efficiency for commercial size monocrystalline silicon PERC cells when it produced a 22.71% cell. In the same month, in it was able to improve the cell efficiency by implementing Multi-Busbar technology to to 23.26%. LONGi emphasised that they were “the first to break through the 23% efficiency barrier’ for PERC cells.
- In August 2018, LONGi said it achieved the highest efficiency of P-type mono-PERC bifacial solar cells in China with a conversion efficiency of 23.11%.
Speaking with TaiyangNews for an interview published in the TaiyangNews Bifacial Solar Module Technology Report 2018, LONGi Solar’s Global Director of Product Marketing, Hongbin Fang had said mono bifacial PERC is the most viable way to lower solar LCOEs (see Mono Bifacial PERC Preferred). Released at Intersolar Europe 2018, the TaiyangNews Bifacial Solar Module Technology Report 2018 is available for free download on our website.