Puerto Rico Launches 1.5 GW Renewables & Storage Tender

Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority Solicits Proposals For 1 GW Renewable Energy & 500 MW Energy Storage Capacity For Island Region

Puerto Rico Launches 1.5 GW Renewables & Storage Tender

The 1 GW renewable energy plus 500 MW energy storage capacity tender launched by PREPA is the first of 6 tranches of an RFP Puerto Rico's state owned electricity utility plans to launch in line with its IRP. (Photo Credit: Zhengzaishuru/shutterstock.com)

  • PREPA has launched a RFP for a minimum of 1 GW of renewable energy capacity with 500 MW/2,000 MWh of energy storage for Puerto Rico island
  • It will include at least 150 MW of distributed energy storage virtual power plants
  • Projects need to be commissioned within 24 months of signing contracts

The Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) has launched a request for proposals (RFP) to source a minimum of 1 GW of renewable energy capacity and at least 500 MW/2,000 MWh of energy storage capacity effective for 4 hours, including at least 150 MW of distributed energy storage virtual power plants (VPP).

Renewable energy technologies that qualify to enter this solicitation include solar PV, wind, hydroelectric or any combination of these technologies.

Eligible renewable energy projects on standalone basis need to have a minimum generating capacity of at least 20 MW, with both new and existing energy resources to be considered. Preference will be given to energy storage resources with 4-hour discharge durations but will consider 2- or 6-hour discharge options as well.

Projects need to be commissioned within 24 months from the date of signing the contracts with PREPA.

Broad scope of work defined in the RFP includes design, construction, installation, ownership, operation and maintenance of projects installed across the island of Puerto Rico, and sale & purchase of energy generated for 25 years.

The detailed RFP document is available on the website of PREPA.

PREPA said the RFP represents the first of 6 tranches it intends to issue in accordance with its Integrated Resource Plan (IRP) that mandates it to procure a total of 3.75 GW of renewable energy resources and 1.5 GW of energy storage over 3 years.

Ravaged by the September 2017 hurricanes Irma and Maria, Puerto Rico’s already ‘deficient’ energy system collapsed and since then it has been making efforts to rebuild it with the help of renewable energy as several of its fossil-fueled powered generating units come to the end of their operational life. By 2022, the government backed electric utility PREPA aims to have renewable energy accounting for 20% of its total power generation capacity, increasing to 40% by 2025, 60% by 2040 and 100% by 2050 (see Puerto Rico Governor Signs 100% RE Bill Into Law).

About The Author

Anu Bhambhani

Anu Bhambhani is the Senior News Editor of TaiyangNews. Anu is our solar news whirlwind. At TaiyangNews she covers everything that is of importance in the world of solar power.

Subscribe To Newsletter


Top Solar Modules Listing

Latest Videos

Loading...
Subscribe To Our Taiyang NewsLetter 
Enter your email to receive our daily solar sector updates.