Hanwha Q Cells Supplying Modules For Angola Project

287 MW Hanwha Q Cells Solar Modules To Be Deployed By Portuguese EPC MCA For 370 MW Solar Power Capacity In Africa’s Angola

Hanwha Q Cells Supplying Modules For Angola Project

Hanwha said its solar panels will power 2 solar projects that will be the backbone of the 370 MW solar power plant capacity being planned in Angola which on completion will become the ‘largest’ project in sub-Saharan Africa. (Photo Credit: Hanwha Q Cells GmbH)

  • Hanwha Q Cells is supplying bulk of modules for a 370 MW solar power project in Angola
  • Its modules will be used for 2 projects of 188 MW and 99.1 MW capacity by EPC company MCA
  • These 2 facilities are part of 7 solar parks that will form the 370 MW Angolan Government Public Project

South Korean solar cell and module manufacturer Hanwha Q Cells has bagged an order to supply 287 MW of its solar modules to be used for 2 solar power projects in Africa’s Angola, ‘forming the backbone’ of a 370 MW PV project spread over several locations. It claims on completion, the project will become the largest in sub-Saharan Africa.

Hanwha’s Q Cells’ Q Peak L-G4.5 solar modules were picked by Portuguese solar EPC company MCA for the 2 projects that are part Angolan Government Public Project being financed by a consortium of Swedish and South African lenders.

The entire 370 MW project comprises 7 individual solar parks located in 6 different Angolan provinces of Benguela, Huambo, Bie, Lunda Norte, Lunda Sul and Moxico.

Hanwha’s modules will be used for the largest single solar plant of the 7 with 188 MW capacity. It will be located in the commune of Biopio in Benguela province. The other project is also located in the same province and should have 99.1 MW capacity since together the 2 projects using Hanwha’s modules make up 287.1 MW capacity.

Calling it a ‘transformative’ solar energy project, Hanwha said the Swedish Export Credit Corporation (SEK) has arranged an export credit line covering 85% of the entire project’s cost, while the remaining 15% has come in from South African bank DBSA. According to the MCA, the entire project is estimated worth €523 million ($630 million).

First of the 7 solar parks is scheduled for completion by Q3/2022. Once the entire 370 MW is online, MCA believes it will deliver enough clean electricity for 2.4 million locals most of whom reside in rural areas and currently have access to intermittent electricity supply.

About The Author

Anu Bhambhani

SENIOR NEWS EDITOR Anu is our solar news whirlwind. At TaiyangNews, she covers everything that is of importance in the world of solar power. In the past 9 years that she has been associated with TaiyangNews, she has covered over thousands of stories, and analysis pieces on markets, technology, financials, and more on a daily basis. She also hosts TaiyangNews Conferences and Webinars. Prior to joining TaiyangNews, Anu reported on sustainability, management, and education for leading print dailies in India. [email protected]

Subscribe To Newsletter

Latest Videos