- OPWP has released the list of applicants that are interested in bidding for the 500 MW PV tender issued by the agency
- Project location will be in Ibri, outside Muscat and is scheduled to come online by early 2021
- Applicants include globally renowned solar players Masdar, EDF Energies Nouvelles, NTPC, Marubeni, Hanwha, SB Energy, among others
- Applications are currently being evaluated by OPWP
The Oman Power and Water Procurement Company (OPWP) has received statement of qualifications (SoQs) from 28 applicants for the 500 MW solar power tender it issued (see RFQ For 500 MW PV Plant In Oman). This will be the first large utility scale solar PV independent power project in Oman.
It will be located in Ibri, around 300 km west from Muscat. OPWP will be the sole offtaker of the power generated by the project. It is scheduled to become operational in early 2021.
Among the applicants are several big solar names from China, India, France, Japan, UAE, among others. Masdar is bidding for the project along with Total Solar of France. Another interesting consortium is EDF Energies Nouvelles and Korea Electric Power Corporation. The largest utility of India, state-backed National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Ltd. and a private company from India, Hero Future Energies Global Limited, are also competing for this project.
Here is the list of applicants:
Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company PJSC ( Masadar) and Total Solar
• AFT Group of Companies and ET Technology GmbH
• AFT Group of Companies and Metallurgical Corporation of China Ltd.
• Amarenco Solar Limited, Mubbadrah Investment LLC and National Electricity Centre LLC
• BIET for Environmental Technologies, International Energy Unit – CPI international Group, VESPA Orientalis Solar Energy and 9th Dimension for Renewable Energy
• BP Alternative Energy Investments Limited, Lightsource BP Renewable Energy Investments Limited and Chint New Energy Development (Zhejiang) Co.
• EDF Energies Nouvelles and Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO)
• Infiniti Overseas LLC
• International Company for Water and Power Projects (“ACWA Power”)
• International Power S.A. (IPSA)
• GCL New Energy International Limited and Alfanar Company
• Hanwha Energy Corporation and Hanwha Q CELLS Corporation
• Hero Future Energies Global Limited
• Jinko Power (HK) Company Limited
• Marubeni Corporation
• Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
• Nebras Power Q.P.S.C.
• NTPC Ltd.
• TBEA Xinjiang SunOasis Co.,Ltd. and Oman National Engineering & Investment Co ( SAOG)
• Powerchina Resources Limited, Powerchina International Group Limited and Mohammed AL Barwani Holding L.L.C
• SB Energy Holdings Limited
• Gruppo Industriale Maccaferri, Shannon Energy Corporation and Global Industrial Services
• SNC-Lavalin Capital Inc. and SkyPower Holdings, LLC
• SOWIW Group, Kalmen-ME & HECT and Gulf Musanada
• Sumitomo Corporation
• United Al Maria LLC
• X-ELIO Energy, S.L.
• Zorlu Enerji Elektrik Uretim A.$ and Abengoa Energa, S.A.
“The high number of applicants resembles the continued interest and trust in the Oman power sector which takes fairness, transparency and economic purchase as key pillars of its structure and framework,” said OPWP.
It is in the process of evaluating these SoQs. Applicants will be informed of the status of their qualification after the necessary approvals are obtained.