- Taiwan has asked its local governments to hire private-sector firms to install rooftop solar panels across the country
- The pilot project will already be deploying solar panels shortly, and the official project launch will be in August 2019
- Private operators will be eligible for minimum paid-in capital for various installations
- Taiwan Power will purchase all of the generated power from these projects from the operators for $6.41 TWD ($0.22) per kWh
- The operator will disburse 10% of the amount to the household and 30% to the local government
The Taiwanese government has taken upon itself to boost the installation of rooftop solar panels. Local governments in the country have been asked by the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) to work with private-sector firms and help deploy solar panels for interested households.
A pilot project will be launched first, and that will be showcased as a model for others to follow. From August 2019 onward, the program will be officially launched.
According to Taipei Times, which reported on the project, there are three categories being installed:
- 10 to 50 MW for several administrative districts in a single city or county, and minimum paid-in capital for operators will be $300 million TWD ($10.2 million);
- 1 to 10 MW for a single administrative district in a city of county, and minimum paid-in capital for operators will be $30 million TWD ($1.02 million); and
- 0.5 to 1 MW for a township, with minimum paid-in capital for operators of $10 million TWD ($341,277).
All of the power generated under this project will be bought by state-owned utility Taiwan Power Co for very high feed-in tariffs of $6.4137 TWD ($0.22) per kWh. The operator will receive this payment and then distribute 10% to the participating homes and 30% to the local governments.
The local governments will be required to use this money for green energy development.
Last year, Taiwan officially approved its target of achieving 1.52 GW of solar power capacity by the end of 2018, 6.5 GW by the end of 2020 and 20 GW of PV by 2025 (see Taiwan Plans Big On Solar). At least 3 GW is to be added to the overall target by rooftop solar.