Tongwei & Trina Solar Joint Venture For 210 Products

Chinese PV Industry Heavyweights Trina Solar & Tongwei To Jointly Produce 40,000 Tons Polysilicon; Ingot, Wafer, & High Efficiency Solar Cell Production Worth 45 GW Also Part Of Plan
11:03 PM (Beijing Time) - 19. November 2020
Presentation1 [Autosaved]

With Trina Solar securing long-term contracts for raw materials as solar glass, wafer, polysilicon and now a joint venture agreement with Tongwei to produce more in-house, the Chinese module producer is ensuring it leaves no stone unturned to support its 210mm module capacity expansion plans. (Photo Credit: Trina Solar Co., Ltd.)

Key Takeaways

  • Trina Solar has announced joint venture and investment agreements with Tongwei
  • Both will launch new project company to produce 40,000 tons of high-purity crystalline silicon annually
  • It will also manufacture ingots, wafer cutting and high efficiency crystalline silicon cell each with 15 GW of annual production capacity
  • Separately, Trina will also purchase 72,000 tons of polysilicon products from Tongwei subsidiaries between January 2021 and December 2023

In a massive push to back its 210mm PV technology production roadmap, Chinese PV cell and module products manufacturer Trina Solar Co., Ltd. is partnering with polysilicon giant Tongwei. The 2 heavyweights have announced a new cooperation agreement aimed at making the 210mm wafer/cell size industrial ecosystem ‘stronger and bigger’.

Under the investments agreed upon, Trina and Tongwei will both launch a new entity as part of their joint venture agreement. Tongwei enters this deal through its subsidiaries Sichuan Yongxiang Co., Ltd. and Tongwei Solar Co., Ltd. The new project company will have both the partners jointly invest about $2.3 billion to produce:

  • 40,000 tons of high-purity crystalline silicon annually,
  • 15 GW of annual ingot capacity,
  • 15 GW of wafer cutting project, and
  • 15 GW of high efficiency crystalline silicon cell project.

Tongwei will claim 65% shareholding in the projects while Trina will own remaining 35% stake. The latter will pool in total registered capital contribution of $32 million.

Under a long term procurement contract signed separately, Trina will purchase 72,000 tons of polysilicon products from Tongwei subsidiaries between January 2021 and December 2023. Trina says these long term contracts will facilitate timely and effective responses to changes in the market and ensuring strong and long term stability of its supply chain.

This contract with Tongwei comes close on the heels of Trina signing a 20 GW silicon wafer procurement contract with Wuxi Shangji Automation Co., Ltd., and a 85 million sq. mtr. solar glass order it placed with Almaden (see Trina Solar To Purchase 85 Million Sq. Mtr. PV Glass).

All these contracts, explains Trina, will back its efforts to increase the production capacity of its Vertex ultra-high-power modules on 210mm wafer size. Out of 50 GW planned total solar module production capacity by the end of 2021 by the company, it aims for 21 GW to comprise 210mm modules.

At the same time, it also goes on to show companies like Trina are ensuring they will have enough raw material capacity to support their production plans in the long-term as suppliers push up prices of their products factoring in market demand.

“Trina Solar and Tongwei both have outstanding advantages in their roles for the industrial chain. They have reached the consensus on 210 series modules, and these cooperations will further strengthen their strategic partnership,” said Secretary of the Board of Directors of Trina Solar, Wu Qun. “Through joint efforts of all industry partners, the 210 product industry chain has matured, which is now more conducive for deeper integration.”

Trina is rolling out its Vertex module series in 2 variants of 500W+ and 600W+ and discussed the technology at length during TaiyangNews virtual conference in July 2020 (see TaiyangNews 500W+ Conference: Trina Solar).

Anu Bhambhani

Anu Bhambhani is the Senior News Editor of TaiyangNews

Write, follow the author.
Email

Anu Bhambhani