Italy Deployed Nearly 3.5 GW New PV During 9M/2023

GSE Reports 14% Annual Increase In Cumulative Solar Capacity Of 28.6 GW With Over 1.5 Million Systems Installed

Italy Deployed Nearly 3.5 GW New PV During 9M/2023

More than 1.5 million systems installed in Italy as of September 30, 2023 amounted to 28.6 GW cumulative PV capacity, according to GSE. Pictured is machine translation of GSE table. (Photo Credit: GSE, Italy)

  • GSE’s latest data shows Italy’s total installed solar PV capacity at the end of September 2023, increased to 28.6 GW 
  • It includes 3.5 GW added in 9M/2023 with the deployment of more than 280,000 systems 
  • Rooftop solar commands 69% share of the aggregate, with ground mounted projects accounting for remaining 31% share 

The cumulative installed solar PV capacity of Italy at the end of September 2023 increased around 14% from 2022-end to over 28 GW, according to the state-owned energy system operator Gestore dei Servizi Energetici (GSE).  

Specifically, the 28.6 GW capacity represents more than 1.5 million solar systems installed, including 3.5 GW deployed during 9M/2023 with over 280,000 systems.  

It is the rooftop PV capacity that covers 69% of the aggregate installations in the country with 19.79 GW, including 3.17 GW added within 9M this year.   

Remaining 31% comes from ground mounted PV of 8.779 GW comprising 334 MW installed during initial 9 months of this year.  

Around 46% of newly installed capacity within 9M/2023 is concentrated in the residential sector, followed by 30% industrial, 20% tertiary and 4% agricultural sectors.  

Self-consumption amounted to a total of 6.11 GWh, equivalent to 24% of the net production of all solar PV systems and 47% of the net production of only self-consumption systems, according to the GSE.  

Earlier, Italia Solare said Italian solar installations at the end of June 2023 totaled 27.37 GW with the addition of 2.32 GW in H1/2023 (see Italy Exceeds 27 GW Cumulative Solar PV Capacity).  

About The Author

Anu Bhambhani

Anu Bhambhani is the Senior News Editor of TaiyangNews. Anu is our solar news whirlwind. At TaiyangNews she covers everything that is of importance in the world of solar power. --Email: [email protected]

Subscribe To Newsletter


Latest Videos

Loading...