India PV News Snippets

Amp Energy Energizes Its 3rd Open Access Solar Project In Karnataka… & More

India PV News Snippets

Amp Energy India’s 30 MW solar power plant (in the picture) in Mallat village of Karnataka will help energize Bosch’s 3 plants/facilities in and around Bengaluru. (Photo Credit: Amp Energy India)

  • India has approved GEC Phase-II to enable power evacuation of around 20 GW renewable energy capacity in 7 states
  • Finance Minister of India has confirmed her government’s commitment to imposing BCD on imported solar modules from April 1, 2022
  • NHPC and GEDCOL has entered promoters agreement to establish floating solar JV for 500 MW capacity in Odisha
  • Amp Energy India has commissioned a 30 MW solar power plant in Karnataka from which Bosch Limited will procure power for 25 years

India’s Cabinet clears Green Energy Corridor Phase-II, while remaining laser focused on imposing BCD as scheduled. NHPC & GEDCOL move forward on floating solar JV, as Amp Energy India sets up 30 MW solar plant for Bosch.

Govt. approves Green Energy Corridor Phase-II: The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs in India has approved the Intra-State Transmission System-Green Energy Corridor (GEC) Phase-II scheme. This will entail close to 10,750 circuit km of transmission lines and around 27,500 mega volt-amperes (MVA) transformation capacity that will enable power evacuation of approximately 20 GW of renewable energy projects in 7 states. These states are Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh. The project is envisaged to be completed from FY 2021-22 to 2025-26. The government believe this will help achieve the target of 450 GW of installed renewable energy capacity by 2030, while ensuring long term energy security, lower carbon footprint, and generate employment.

GEC Phase-I is already underway in the state of Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu for grid integration for around 24 GW of renewable energy to be evacuated. It is expected to complete by 2022.

BCD coming up for imported solar modules: India’s Minister of Finance Nirmala Sitharaman confirmed her government’s intention to implement Basic Customs Duty (BCD) on imported solar modules from the scheduled date of April 1, 2022. According to a Press Trust of India (PTI) report, the minister assured a delegation of Indian Solar Manufacturers Association (ISMA), All India Solar Industries Association (AISIA) and North India Module Manufacturers Association (NIMMA) of the commitment. This comes in contrast to previous media reports about Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) head RK Singh contemplating either postponing the BCD imposition or extending project commissioning deadlines. It was in response to the Solar Power Developers Association (SPDA) and National Solar Energy Federation of India (NSEFI) having approached the MNRE to extend the deadline complaining about Chinese companies selling their products at hiked prices (see Ray Of Light For Solar Developers In India).

Promoters agreement for 500 MW floating solar JV: The NHPC Limited and Green Energy Development Corporation of Odisha Limited (GEDCOL) have entered a promoters agreement to form a joint venture (JV) company for the development of 500 MW floating solar power projects in various water reservoirs in Odisha (see India PV News Snippets). This development follows the duo entering a memorandum of understanding (MoU) in June 2020. The JV is tentatively called Odisha Solar Power Development Company Limited. It may plan more projects as a developer or under other arrangement in the future. NHPC will hold 74% stake in the company while GEDCOL will be remaining 26% owner. It will have an authorized share capital of INR 5 billion ($67 million).

Amp Energy commissions 30 MW solar project for Bosch: A 30 MW solar power plant has been set up by Amp Energy India for Bosch Limited. Located in Mallat village of Raichur district in Karnataka, the facility is Amp Energy’s 3rd open access project in the state. Bosch will procure power from the same for 25 years under a power purchase agreement (PPA) to energize its 3 plants/facilities in and around Bengaluru.

About The Author

Anu Bhambhani

Anu Bhambhani is the Senior News Editor of TaiyangNews. Anu is our solar news whirlwind. At TaiyangNews she covers everything that is of importance in the world of solar power.

Subscribe To Newsletter

Register for the upcoming event

Latest Videos


Subscribe To Our Taiyang NewsLetter 
Enter your email to receive our daily solar sector updates.